You may be wondering...

..who I am:
My name is Amanda Baxley and I am from the teeny town of Hartsville, South Carolina. I went to the College of Charleston and graduated in 2006 with a BA in Biology and a minor in Psychology. After taking a year off to work, I got accepted to the Medical University of South Carolina College of Nursing. I graduated from the Accelerated BSN program this past December and am now officially a RN!!! I have had the same amazing boyfriend for the past 4 years now and will hopefully be lucky enough to be engaged to him very soon! And I definitely can't go without mentioning the other love in my life...my sweet, adorable 4 year old Daschund named Sadie. She is my best friend and always beside me!

...what this blog is all about:
Giving others a chance to experience Livingstone, Zambia right along with me.

...when I will be in Zambia:
From January 31 until March 2 of this year.

...where Livingstone, Zambia is located:
Livingstone is the current capital of Zambia, a country in the southern portion of Africa. Livingstone is approximately 10km south of Victoria Falls, one of the largest waterfalls in the world.

...why I am going there:
To provide healthcare to the disadvantaged citizens of Livingstone. Zambia is one of the world's poorest countries in the world and, as a result, healthcare is ineffecient. Because of the lack of adequate healthcare and health related education, Zambia is one of the countries in Sub-Saharan Africa most affected by HIV and AIDS. Growing up, I was lucky enough to see the way that my dad cared about people other than himself. So...long story short, about 10 months ago, I made the decision to go to Zambia so that I could begin using my medical skills like my father used his - to help those that are unable (no matter what the reason) to help themselves.

“For the first time in human history, we have the science, the technology, and the money to end extreme poverty. With this unprecedented historic opportunity comes the responsibility to act”.

Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Amazing news!!!!

This morning I got the most amazing news......Brave has received the two boxes of medical supplies!!!! I called him this morning just to chat, expecting to hear him say that he still hasn't received the shipments from me - but, instead, he suprises me by saying that he picked both boxes up from the Livingstone Post Office earlier this morning!! He then goes on to tell me something that immediately gives me goosebumps and makes me cry (these were happy tears....sad tears were nowhere in sight this morning). Not too long ago (just a little while before I arrived in Livingstone) the Livingstone District Health Management Team finished construction on a building behind Maramba Clinic. They planned to use this building as additional clinic rooms, laboratory space, an HIV and TB testing area, etc. While I was in Livingstone volunteering, they were just beginning to move into this new building and were all thrilled about the MUCH needed space they finally had - they had been working on everything involved with this new building for so, so long, and finally their work had paid off - it really was wonderful to see. Well, Brave explained to me this morning that the staff at Maramba were all prepared to start having clinic in this building (as well as continue having it in the older building as well) but, quite simply, did not have enough medical supplies to do any of this. So, in other words, they were not going to be able to have any clinic at all at Maramba until they were able to get the medical supplies that they needed - and with no clinic services available at Maramba, hundreds upon hundreds of people would go without medical care. He then excitedly told me that this was no longer a problem because they had received the supplies that we had sent over to them. Because of the supplies that they now had, they were going to be able to continue providing medical care to the people of Maramba - for as long as these supplies will last. At this point in the conversation, I was totally covered in goosebumps and the tears were flowing. But then he proceeded to make this news even more special by telling me how absolutely grateful he is to the people of "South Caroleena" (I adore the way he pronounces it.....it's awesome....it really is) who had decided to help the people of Livingstone. He said to me, "Oh my god...what you all have done...oh my god...I can't even explain how much it will help the people...thank you, thank you. Oh my god...the blood sugar machines...the syringes...the surgery blades...thank you, thank you."

So, needless to say, the news that I got this morning was amazing. I worked with, lived with, laughed with, and made lifelong memories with the people of Livingstone. The best friends that I have ever had and will ever have are from Livingstone. I love these people with all of my heart. The love that you all are showing to them by giving what you can is making an impact in their lives and I want to thank you. From the bottom of my heart I thank you for helping these people that are so incredibly important to me. I can't even put into words how grateful I am for everyone's love and support. Thank you!

Now that I know that Brave will receive the boxes that we ship, I am going to continue sending them as long as people are willing to make donations. So, please spread the word!!!! Let me know if anyone wants to make a donation! Thank you again.....

No comments:

Post a Comment